New Hope Basic Training Pre-Conference
New Hope Basic Training Requirements Summary:
1. Turn in Volunteer Application and signed Statement of Policies to Susan Balk.
2. Read and study Giving Life by Giving Love by Rev. Dr. James Kok and all class handouts.
3. Complete all nine Basic Training Classes. Missed classes can be made up by tape and exam. To make up the "Administrative Orientation" class call Sheila at (714) 971-4294.
4. Complete at least two "On the Phones" training sessions.
5. Contact Sara if you want to do internet counseling. New Hope offers live online counseling at www.NewHopeNow.org in a private chat room. Our internet counselors may serve from their home computers. If you're interested in this, please contact Sara at (714) 971-4308 or e-mail Sara@CrystalCathedral.org. She will train you in how to use our software and resources. (Some volunteers serve one week on the phone and one week on the internet.)
6. Select and start on your shift(s) on the phones and/or the interent. You should be started serving as a counselor on or before your graduation date. We need your help, so please follow through promptly! For telephone counseling call Susan Balk at (714) 971-4123. For internet counseling call Sara Cruce at (714) 971-4308 or e-mail Sara@CrystalCathedral.org.
7. Complete the New Hope CE class each month. Each class is offered at two different times. If you miss one of the live classes, you can make it up and receive credit taking the exam after you either listen to the tape ($5 each) and/or study the notes. For $50 per year you can have the tape mailed to you each month. To get on Dr. Bill's e-mail list to automatically receive monthly "CE Notes" and "Case Study Discussions" simply send your request to SheilaS@CrystalCathedral.org.
8. Read and study the New Hope CE Manual. This covers basic counseling skills and how to respond to many caller problems, including common issues not covered in the Basic Training class like addictions, domestic violence, and child abuse. You may photo copy articles from the CE Manual in the phone room or view articles on www.NewHopeNow.org. (When you are approved as a New Hope Counselor you can have access to New Hope's private website that is for counselors only and has the entire CE Manual on it. Call Sheila at 714/971-4294 to get the domain address, user name, password, and server name.)